Tuesday, September 9, 2008

They (and I am not really sure who “they” pertain to) but they say that it takes about two weeks for the initial phase of culture shock to wear off….that being the "honeymoon" stage. One then enters a phase two: confusion results as they begin to compare t heir own culture to the new one and are not sure how to cope with the differences that seem less than favorable in the new culture....interesting.

I am now two weeks into my first experience of Middle Eastern culture and I can honestly say that for whatever reason of which I am not sure, my culture shock “phase 1” and “phase 2” has been reversed. Of course the new sights and sounds of a Cairo were exciting upon first experiencing them, but I found myself standing back; watching, listening, observing, certainly not participating and doing it all as a skeptic. I was critical of this place and Middle Eastern people. Could it be that I fell victim to popular American propaganda and ideas towards this region that our media apparently so successfully ingrained in my mind? Possible…. Interesting enough two weeks ago, I was fully aware that I was coming in with a possible unfair pre-judgment yet I still felt certain that all these preconceived notions would be confirmed. How wrong I could have been. As I just now begin to put aside my “comparison” mentality and my preconceived ideas, I find myself being in awe of Cairo, Egypt and even the Middle East. While utterly complex and mind baffling, stepping back and seeing the Middle East for its history and incredible place in the world systems, I am taking this experience on humility.

Within the short amount of time of two weeks, my “breaking news” impression of this region has been disregarded and I am now opening my eyes to the beauty, and I do mean BEAUTY, of this culture. Beauty in the rich, incredibly enthralling history of the Middle East, particularly Egypt. Beauty in the Islamic inspired architecture and literature. Beauty in the Islamic faith and the devotion of Muslims, especially during this holy month of Ramadan. Beauty in the hospitality and kindness of the people. When I can begin to appreciate the beauty in another culture, my mind can only be opened and expanded beyond what I thought imaginable.
My “awakening” has fittingly coincided with the beginning of our classes and our travels. Week One of classes has just ended and already my mind can not seem to keep up with the information presented to me. Honestly, I would struggle learning Arabic alone over the next 3 months, but that seems to be only the beginning… Our Islam class toured three mosques, all very different but equally breath-taking and overwhelmingly full of different histories. Our professor gave a lecture on the 5 Pillars of the Islam sitting in the midst of the Sultan Hasan Mosque; a mosque built in the early 14th century. These pieces of architecture not only reveal so much about the time periods in which they were built, but also about the intricate details, many of which were for religious reasons, that Muslims followed in creating these masterpieces. We have been privileged with other speakers as well lecturing on topics such as human rights in Egypt and another specifically with regards to woman’s rights. Incredibly fascinating! Throughout the semester, including the time we travel in different countries, we will be fortunate enough to have over 40 speakers from all sectors of society come and share their ideas with us.

Too much class and not enough fun you might be thinking?...Do not worry! This weekend we are headed to Mt. Sinai to climb the famed Old Testament wonder. I hear you can see Saudi Arabia from the top…stay tuned. I also intend to search for the burning bush while I am there, and snorkel in the Red Sea, seeing as we will be staying in the resort town of Dahab for a few days. (I am kidding about the first, quite serious about the latter.) I have heard rumors that Dahab’s snorkeling and scuba diving is comparable to parts of the Great Barrier Reef… I have never been to either, so I am going to believe it is true.
This upcoming week will be hearing speakers from the US Embassy which I am sure will be a fantastic opportunity to ask so many questions which have been swirling about my head since I have been here with regards to the US foreign policy in Egypt.
While the Internet connection is certainly less than favorable, I will put forth my best effort to update this blog a little more often. Ma’Salaama

2 comments:

Jessie Patouillet said...

I'm so excited for you Ab! What an adventure you are having! I love you and miss you. :o)

Sam Doctor said...

wa al lekumu asalaam, ana mutakhasis fil dajaj. i noticed you went to the middle east, I've been taking Arabic over a year now, but haven't really learned much of the culture. I'd be interested to hear about it.